B. Complete the following sentences
1.1 have hitting news .... 2. These are the rules ... . 3. She'll always say something ... . 4. The situation leaves much .... 5. They had nothing ... at the Customs. 6. There was nothing ... all day, and no one ... . 7. We've always admired the old man's will ... . 8. The shops before 293
Christmas are full of things .... 9.1 had a vital date ... 10. The guests have left, and now I have a pile of dishes ...
Ex. 509.Complete the sentences with the phrases from the right column.
1. There are always choices 2. You give me reason 3. They have the power 4. Now there's an easier way 5. Whenever economic hardship breaks children are the first 6. In Egypt you've got plenty of geological wonders 7. Everybody has the right 8. A food mixer is a very useful gadget 9. In those days I had a baby 10. There are four ways 11. Mr. Killingworth is the right man 12. She had no desire 13. Bill says he needs a wife 14. She has always had the ability
15. This was a wonderful chance 16. This fashion magazine shows you 17. I went back to work with this thought
a. to suffer. b. to marvel at. c. to dream his little dream. d. to have in the kitchen, e. to veto any project. f. to mix with others. g. to do the talking, h. to make. i. to chew on. j. to give your child a world of knowledge, k. to do this sum. 1. to amuse everybody, m.to take care of him. n. to talk about it. o. to look after, p. to live, q. the most successful
ways to dress.
Ex. 510.Read and translate the text. Comment on the Infinitives
I Want A Wife
A Feminist Classic from the Early '70s
I belong to that classification of people known as wives-I am A Wife. And, not altogether incidentally, I am a mother. Not too long ago a male friend of mine appeared on the scene fresh from a recent divorce. He had one child, who is, of course, with his ex-wife. He is obviously looking for another wife. As I thought about him while I was ironing one evening, it suddenly occurred to me that I, too, would like to have a wife. Why do I want a wife? I would like to go back to school. And I want a wife who will work and send me to school. And while I am going to school, I want a wife to take care of the children. I want a wife to make sure my children eat properly and are kept clean. I want a wife who will wash the children's clothes and keep them mended, who arranges for their schooling, takes them to the park, the zoo, et cetera. I want a wife who takes care of the children when they are sick, a wife who arranges to be around when the children need special care, because, of course, I cannot miss classes at school. Needless to say, my wife must arrange to lose time at work and not lose the job. It may mean a small cut in my wife's income from time to time, but I guess I can tolerate that.
I want a wife to take care of my physical needs. I want a wife who will keep my house clean. A wife who will pick up after me. I want a wife who will keep my clothes clean, ironed, mended, replaced when need be. I want a wife who is a good cook. I want a wife to plan the menus, do the necessary shopping, prepare the meals, serve them pleasantly, and then do the cleaning up while I do my studying. I want a wife who will care of me when I am sick and sympathize with my pain and loss of time from school.
I want a wife who will not bother me with rambling complaints about a wife's duties. But I want a wife who will listen to me when I feel the need to explain a rather difficult point I have come across in my course of studies. And I want a wife who will type my papers for me when I have written them.
And I want a wife who knows that sometimes I need a night out by myself. But I want a wife who understands that my sexual needs may entail more than strict adherence to monogamy. I must, after all, be able to relate to people as fully as possible.
If I happen to find another person more suitable as a wife than the wife I already have, I want the liberty to replace my present wife with another one. Naturally, as I expect a fresh, new life, my wife will have to take the children and be solely responsible for them so that I am left free.
When I am through with school and have a job, I want my wife to quit working and remain at home so that my wife can more fully and completely take care of a wife's duties.
My God, who wouldn't want a wife?
Ex. 511.Read the poem and learn it Comment on the Infinitives
What Is This Life?
What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare? No time to stand beneath the boughs And stare as long as sheep or cows; No time to see, when woods we pass, Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass; No time to see, in broad daylight, Streams full of stars, like skies at night; No time to turn at Beauty's glance, And watch her feet, how they can dance; No time to wait till her mouth can Enrich that smile her eyes began? A poor life is this if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.
W. H. Davies
Ex. 512.Translate into English
1. Вот программа, которую нужно утвердить. 2. Это книга, которую нужно прочитать. 3. У него потряса ющая новость, которую он расскажет вам. 4. Поверь те, вам нечего бояться. 5. Мне о столь многом нужно подумать. 6. Нельзя терять время. Нужно принять решение. 7. Есть несколько факсов, на которые необходимо ответить сейчас же. 8. Это — платье, которое любую женщину сделает красивой. 9. Дэвид не тот человек, который может осчастливить женщину. 10. У нас долгая жизнь, которой нужно наслаждаться.
11. Давай поищем место, где мы могли бы перекусить. 12. У него три сына, которых нужно вырастить. 13. Он первый угадал их намерения. 14. Почему это я всегда все узнаю последним? 15. Он не тот человек, который может вас подвести. 16. Им предстоял долгий путь. 17. У них не было желания спорить. 18. Амелия чувствовала потребность высказаться. 19. Она сделала отчаянную попытку освободиться. 20. — Ты будешь выступать следующим? — Нет, я буду выступать последним.
Ex 513. A. Read and translate the sentences Comment on the form function of the Infinitives
1. To get daily updated news,to be in the know just slip through the net and you are on the Internet. 2. Aunt Louise whirled around to greet me. 3. We didn't tell him the whole truth not to discourage him. 4.1 ran back to my room to collect my belongings. 5. Tony's father died of pneumonia when he was nine. His mother, a seamstress, struggled to raise three children on her own. 6. Unable to make such a decision alone I asked my brother for help. 7. The clock buzzes to tell you when to get up. 8. Most Islanders have at least two jobs to earn enough to cope with the sky-high prices. 9. You don't have to be a genius to understand it. 10. When in Paris we went to a wonderful restaurant to enjoy an open-air meal. 11. To overcome the problems that face each one of us — and no life is problem-free — it is crucial to have a plan to live by. 12. He opened his mouth to say something, but then changed his mind. 13. They had come to attend the party. 14. So sensational was the news that the entire class jumped out of their seats to have a really good look. 15. He remained silent for a few moments to allow
her to compose herself. 16. If the state borrows heavily to rebuild the economy, the Central Bank will keep monetary policy tight. 17.1 popped into the snack bar to buy a soda.
B. Complete the following sentences.
1. This car is designed ... . 2. The mayor cut the ribbon ... 3. It took all her strength .... 4. The young man works hard .... 5. You don't have to be a genius ... 6. She has only to say "yes" ... . 7. Keep your mouth shut.... 8. She spoke more slowly ... . 9. She sipped her tea ... .
Ex. 514.Complete the sentences using to or for.
I.She opened the file ... look for the necessary information. 2. She scanned the text... the needed data. 3. The family went to Paris ... a short visit. 4. The Parkers went to Bath... visit the distant relatives. 5. Every evening she takes long walks ... relax. 6. It's good to take long walks ... relaxation. 7. I'm going to University ... a good education. 8. I'm going to University ... get knowledge. 9. My kids aren't going to school just... have fun. 10. Charlie has done it just... fun. 11.1 went to the store ... some bread and cheese. 12. Mum has gone to the store ... get some milk. 13.1 turned on the radio ... listen to the news. 14.1 listened to the radio ... news about the weather. 15. In this country we wear fur coats in the winter ... keep us warm. 16.1 have put on this sheepskin coat... warmth. 17.1 had a long stroll ... boom my appetite.
Ex. 515. A. Read and translate the sentences. Define the function of the Infinitives.
1. The day is too hot for us to be out on the beach. 2. The cigarettes are expensive enough to be good. 3. The tea is too sweet to be refreshing. 4. She is clever enough to be at the top of the class. 5. The wine is too harsh to be tasty. 6. The dress is cut well enough to be elegant. 7. The oranges are too tired to buy them. 8. The weather is frosty enough to be enjoyable. 9. The colours are too loud to be good. 10. Wilfred was far too bewildered even to speak. 11. Life is too short to continue hating anyone for a long time. 12. My relatives never visit us. They have too many kids to fit in the car. 13. Catherine had never judged Meredith and Jack. She was far too intelligent to do that and mature enough to realize that no one else ever knew exactly what went on between two people. 14. But in the end the burden had got too big to carry. 15. The man was too big to be allowed.
B. Complete the following sentences.
1. She is old enough .... 2. He was too stressed and busy ... . 3. You are too pessimistic ... . 4. They know him well enough ... . 5. You are mature enough .... 6.1 became brave enough ... . 7. Life is too tough .... 8. She was too much of a lady ... .
Ex 516. A. Read and translate the sentences. Define the function of Infinitives.
1.1 woke up to find the doctor lifting me very carefully into my own bed. 2. They went to their friends' country house to find all the doors locked and nobody in sight. 3. Michael returned to his native village never to leave it again. 4. Helen came to the University to be told that all the lectures had been cancelled. 5. She awoke one morning to find herself famous. 6. She walked into the back room to see her mother crying over the broken China vase. 7. He came into the garage to discover that his car was gone. 8. In a month I returned home to learn that my son needed a surgery.
B. Complete the following sentences.
1.1 took a mouthful of juice.... 2. David opened the cellar ... . 3. Marion went to the East... . 4. She switched on the TV-set... . 5. The woman opened her bag ... . 6. One morning I came into the room .... 7. In the morning I awoke ... .
Ex. 517.Give the English equivalents for the following phrases Make up sentences with them
По правде говоря, чтобы быть абсолютно откровенным, в довершение всего, для начала, мягко говоря, не говоря больше, нет нужды говорить, чтобы быть более точ ным, короче говоря, как ни странно это звучит.
Ex. 518.Translate into English
1. Жизнь слишком коротка, чтобы понапрасну тратить время. 2. Мисс Темп л поднялась рано, чтобы успеть на первый автобус. 3. Сказать правду было невозможно для нее, и поэтому ей пришлось придумать историю, 4. Новость была слишком хороша, чтобы поверить в нее. 5. Кто говорит, что жизнь скучна? Ведь есть книги, которые можно читать, картины, которыми можно восхищаться, музыка, которая может соответствовать вашему настроению (to meet your mood). 6. Он недостаточно жесток, чтобы сказать ей это в лицо. 7. Не волнуйся, мы встретимся, чтобы поговорить за рюмкой коньяка и решить все проблемы человечества. 8. Я решил прогуляться, но пошел мелкий дождь, и мне пришлось вернуться домой. 9. Бетси имела обыкновение подниматься в мою комнату, чтобы рассказать мне историю перед сном (a bedtime story). 10. Дети начали смеяться все сразу, чтобы через минуту понять, как жестока была шутка. 11. Хильда Роберте достаточно умна, чтобы быть самой лучшей ученицей в классе. 12. Оратор выдержал значительную паузу в начале речи, чтобы привлечь внимание (to win the attention of) аудитории. 13. По правде говоря, ты достаточно взрослый, чтобы решить, что хорошо для тебя. 14. Синди планирует работать все лето, чтобы заработать деньги на юридическую школу. 15. А теперь я лучше остановлюсь, чтобы не вызвать новых проблем, мягко говоря. 16. У нее власть управлять людьми. И как же трудно иметь с ней дело! 17. Они понимали, что у них недостаточно акций, чтобы получить контроль над компанией. 18. Ты слишком молод, чтобы уйти в отставку.
Ex 519.Read and translate the sentences Define the function of the lives
1.1 don't expect you to understand. You wouldn't listen to me in 1994 and you won't listen to me now. But I want you to take some precautions. Would you like me to help you? 2. If you don't want anyone to know your business, keep your mouth shut. 3. What made you decide to enter that competition? 4. They wanted her to relax and sent the children to their aunt's. 5. They know him to be a responsible person. 6. Sunglasses make you look mysterious. 7. They consider him to be a real professional. 8. The desire for fame makes men work hard and does not let them rest till the goal is gained. 9. She regards him as a superman. 10. The big breakfast made me feel drowsy and I let the book fall to the floor. 11. Let me take you to the Milky Way on your holiday! 12. It makes my mouth water just to think about all those tasty things. 13. Let the music play, let the voices sing, let's stay together to the end! 14. It takes two to make a dream come true. 15.1 don't let my children watch TV shows that are violent. 16. Let the wind always blow in your back and the road always go downhill for you! 17. Don't let that fool you! 18. These articles will make your hair stand on end. 19.1 make myself exercise and do sit-ups for ten minutes every other morning. 20. Since I didn't want that to happen, I took Andre's advice.
Ex 520. Read the text and retell it
"Do you remember, Maxim, what I told you about the standards I want you to have when you are a big boy, and when you are a man?" "Yes, Papa. You said a gentleman never tells a lie." "That's correct, but now I'm afraid I must amend that statement. I wish you to revise what I said to you last week. I have to change my opinion... I believe it to be perfectly all right for a gentleman to tell a lie if it is a matter of life and death... if it is to save his life. Or the lives of others, of course. I want you to remember that a man must have valour, honour and nobility if he is to be of great character, I want you to remember that when you grow up." "Yes,
Papa, I will."
(after B. Bradford)
Ex. 521.Translate into English.
1. Ваш начальник всегда предполагает, что вы будете все делать вовремя. 2. Они предполагали, что вы встанете на их сторону. 3. Она знает, как заставить людей делать именно то, что нужно ей. 4. Мы заметили, что какие-то мальчишки забрались в соседский сад, 5. Когда мы вернулись домой, то обнаружили, что наг ожидают огромные счета. 6. Хочешь, чтобы я показала тебе своих рыбок? 7. Все хотели, чтобы он стал руководителем партии. 8. Многие люди считают бытовые химикаты экологически вредными. 9. Никто не предполагал, что последствия будут столь ощутимы ми. 10. Почему вы заставили нас так долго ждать? 11. Дети подслушали, как какой-то незнакомец угрожал их отцу. 12. Мы слышали, что она нашла новую работу. 13. Я почувствовал, что это правда, и почувствовал, как у меня заколотилось сердце. 14. Они позволили мне пользоваться их машиной, пока они отдыхали. 15. Когда я попадаю на Арбат, то очень люблю наблюдать, как рисуют художники.
Ex. 522.Make the sentences passive.
Model: They saw him do it. — He was seen to do it.
1. Everybody heard her say that. 2. The neighbours noticed the burglar get into the house. 3. The policeman saw the car disappear in the tunnel. 4. The public made the poet read some more of his poetry. 5. Don't worn' We'll let you go to the match. 6. Tom's father made his son apologize. 7. They made the customer accept then" terms. 8. They consider him to be an expert in his sphere• 9. She regards her father a perfect example to follow 10. Everybody knows that this theatre was built by a famous architect. 11. They suspect that the teenager helped them. 12. We expect that they have learnt the truth. 13. It was announced that the pop-group had arrived. 14. It is understood that the partners have come to an agreement. 15. It was reported that the verdict was announced.
Ex. 523. Translate into English.
1. Отступить (to quit) значит проиграть. 2. Лучший способ потерять вес — изменить привычки в еде (eating habits). 3. Есть три способа сделать это. 4. Если я передумаю, то ты первый узнаешь об этом. 5. Она никогда не может прийти к финишу первой. 6. Я в это время случайно оказался в госпитале. 7. Он отправился на кухню, чтобы приготовить бутерброды. 8. У меня есть признание, которое я должен сделать. 9. Иногда он невыносим. Он хочет все делать по-своему. 10. А еще что-нибудь нужно сделать? 11. Бесси ворвалась в комнату, чтобы сообщить, что меня ждет посетитель. 12. Ему пришлось повысить голос, чтобы быть услышанным. 13. Когда я шел домой, я остановился, чтобы купить газету. 14. Чтобы выиграть соревнование, Полу нужна удача. 15 Для нее курить — это поднимать самоуважение. 16. Она любит, когда ею восхищаются, фотографируют, пишут о ней в газетах. 17. Предполагают, что он сделал это из ревности. 18. Известно, что он глава фирмы в течение последних десяти лет.
Ex 524. Read and translate the sentences. Comment on the forms [the Infinitives after the verbs seem, appear, happen, chance, turn u prove.
1. The old woman seemed to read my mind. 2. They proved to be old friends. 3. David happened to witness the incident. 4. But his advice didn't prove to be sound. 5. It turned out to be their last meeting. 6. They chanced to find a treasure under the house. 7.1 always seem to be waiting for things. 8. Mr. Smith appeared to be thinking aloud. 9. Vesta happened to be playing in the corner of the room. 10. He might turn out to be another Newton. 11. The child seemed on a sudden to have entered a magic world. 12. Dinny seemed to have lost already all her doubts. 13. Herbert would appear to be involved in it. 14. We seemed to be surrounded by shouting policemen. 15. The patient seemed to have been improving lately. 16. It proved to be true in the end.
Ex. 525.Make sentences according to the model
Model. I was in the bank. Two robbers broke in. — I happened to be in the bank, when two robbers broke in.
We were waiting at a bus-stop. Our friend drove past. — We happened (chanced) to be waiting at a bus-stop when our friend drove past.
1. You were there. The incident took place. 2. She was in the bath. The telephone rang. 3. You were watching television. There came a knock on the door. 4. He was sitting in a restaurant. A friend walked in. 5. You were passing by. A passer-by stopped you. 6. They were there. The flying saucer appeared. 7. The sheriff was in the club. A fight started. 8. You were talking about her. She came into the room. 9. An old man was walking past a hospital. He had a heart attack. 10. You were standing outside a hotel. A Rolls-Royce drove up.
Ex. 526.Change the sentences according to the model
Model' She appeared not to hear him. — She didn't appear to hear him.
1. She seemed not to know real life. 2. This man seemed not to care for rules. 3. He was busy with the car and appeared not to see the policeman. 4. John seemed not to enjoy playing cards but he had to. 5. The boss never seemed to pay any attention to our needs. 6. The boy 304
seems not to be healthy and happy. 7. Andrew appeared not to notice her. 8. The waiter seemed not to notice our anger. 9. Christine seemed not to take in what he meant. 10. He appeared not to have learnt the results of the investigation. 11. The women seemed not to like the work they were doing. 12. Simon seemed to see and hear nothing. 13. You seem not to have forgiven me, Denny, which is very, very sad. 14.1 seemed to have no feeling left in me at all. 15. His heart appeared not to be beating any longer.
Ex 527.Open the brackets and use the required form of the Infinitives
1. So far she appeared (do) Henry nothing but harm. 2. He appeared (see) the light and decided to drop in. 3. Here, in a small village, the world seems (construct) on a smaller scale. 4. Yes, they seem (appreciate) my picture a whole lot last night. 5. The children seem (eat)
ever since they arrived, as if they had been starved before. 6. It may turn out (be) interesting. 7. She appeared (cross- question) me. 8. Everyone seemed (talk) for hours. 9. The idea of escape seemed (become) less fantastic. 10. Possibly it might prove (be) dead good luck. 11. Twenty years seem (pass) so quickly! 12. Verena seemed (let) the matter (die). 13. The sound of the phone ringing seemed (wake) every nerve in my body. 14. Scarlett seemed (pay) little attention to what they said. 15. Her legs seemed (lose) power to move, and now she appeared (break).
Ex. 528. Translate into English
1. Джуди действительно оказалась звездой. 2. Оказалось, что они и в самом деле братья. 3. Он, казалось, получал удовольствие от игры с детьми. Они были такие забавные. 4. Мама, кажется, узнала правду и выглядит очень сердитой. 5. Они, кажется, не доверяют друг другу. 6. Экзамен, кажется, подходит к концу. 7. Предложение кажется многообещающим. 8. Они, кажется, не поддержали новый проект. 9. Он, казалось,
всю жизнь мечтал об этой поездке. 10. Я случайно услышал эту новость. 11. Предчувствия Макса оказа. лись верными. 12. Кажется, что делать нечего, кроме как отправиться спать. 13. Ночь оказалась холоднее чем мы предполагали. 14. Вы случайно не знаете но' мер его факса? 15. Джек, кажется, учит немецкий всю свою жизнь.
Ex. 529.Read and translate the sentences Comment on the functions of the for-phrases with an Infinitive
1. For him to act so is rather unusual. 2. It was difficult for Bill to keep such a big family. 3. All she wanted was for her mother to come to terms with her past, gain peace of mind, as well as a bit of happiness for once. 4. The best thing is for you to leave at once. 5. Teddy put the kettle on, stood near the stove waiting for the water to boil. 6. He stopped the car for the kids to get in. 7. That is for the boss to decide, isn't it? 8. Steve was a suitable candidate for them to hire. 9.1 am still waiting for the mail to come. 10. Emma was a suitable child for them to adopt. 11. I've bought a tin of pastries for you to enjoy them. 12. After all, we have known the man long enough for Steve to trust him.
Ex. 530.Transform the sentences according to the model using the words necessary, important, possible, impossible, difficult, traditional hard, easy, customary
hostess begins to eat. 10. The bride usually feeds the groom the first piece of wedding cake. 11. Mary should start thinking about her future. 12. Animals can't talk or think or plan something. 13.1 can understand my teacher most of the time. 14. A writer should be imaginative. 15. My parents are anxious I should enter the University.
Ex.531.Transform the sentences so as to use the for-to-infinitive construction
1. The most important thing is that we should stay cool. 2. Let us wait till the fax arrives. 3. This is the day which they shall remember for a long time. 4. He is the expert whom you should have consulted. 5.1 shall leave some money so that they may spend it. 6. Martin sent his family to his parents' so that they could be safe there. 7. The days have become too short, so we can't walk as much as in the summertime. 8. The new manager must be very competent as the director has entrusted him with a most difficult task. 9. It is quite natural that she should have refused his proposal. 10. What I want is that you should understand me. 11. There is no need that we should stay here any longer. 12. It's unbelievable that he should have really meant it. 13. Phone the office and someone will meet us. 14. When I became a vegetarian, I had to wait for some period of time until my organism got used to it. 15. It is impossible that he didn't believe you even after you showed him the file. 16. He waited in the reception. The secretary hadn't turned up yet. 17. Mr. Marshall's suggestion was that the contract should be signed without any delay.
Ex532. Read and translate the following Comment on the form and function of the Infinitives
1. My sister Maggie is cooking up a plan to get Dad to let her go to that party on Saturday. 2. I've been trying to find a way to convince them to let me stay home, and they had finally to give in, which made me feel a lot better. 3. To tell the truth, I work alone, I have no partner to worry about. 4. To live is to suffer, to survive is to find meaning in the suffering. 5. To develop the strength and tone of your voice you have to practise voice exercises daily. I was too self-conscious to find a teacher and have singing lessons, but it wasn't an ordeal to record yourself singing and send the tape off to be assessed. And then I received my tape back from my tutor to improve it further. 6. Patsy drove on in silence, too tired to speak, but after a while she said, "I'm not too sure about parking in Leeds. I think the best thing to do is to go to the Queens Hotel to park there." 7. There were certain matters at the London office to attend to and she and Patsy had to make a trip to Ripon where they had some work to complete. 8. Now Maxim, it would be wiser to let the subject rest for the moment. Anastasia is far too intelligent a person to expect you to do such a thing — to get rid of your business empire. 9. "Ever since I first arrived to take up my post in London, I have sought an opportunity to show something of the rich cultural links that Brazil has had with Europe over many centuries," says the Brazilian Ambassador in London.
Ex. 533. A. Write the Gerunds of the following verbs
1. spend 2. shop 3. play 4. clean 5. read 6. travel 7. collect 8. use 9. swim 10. save 11. watch 12. listen 13. see 14. do 15.be
©2015-2020 megaobuchalka.ru Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. (1732)
Почему 1285321 студент выбрали МегаОбучалку...
Система поиска информации
Мобильная версия сайта
Нет шокирующей рекламы