Vocabulary and Grammar. Task 9.Study the models. Translate the word combinations
Task 9.Study the models. Translate the word combinations.
Models: a) cane sugar – тростниковый сахар
sugar cane – сахарный тростник
b) steel knife – стальной нож
steel market – рынок стали
steel price – цены на сталь
steel strike – забастовка сталелитейщиков
1. law enforcement agency
2. drug detector dog
3. career prospects
4. merchandise classification system
5. cargo declaration form
6. smuggling information collection
7. crime gang
8. customs hall
9. currency exchange rate
10. drug charges
11. world customs organization
12. oil production
Task 10.Work with the dictionary to find out the meanings of the words and translate the sentences.
to apply – 1) _______________
They plan to apply to the Consul for visa.
To define the rate of tariff we apply the goods classification system.
to clear - 1) _______________
Within minutes the police had cleared the area.
The cargo was released from the Customs zone as soon as it was cleared.
to process – 1) _______________
Your documents haven’t been processed yet.
About a million workers are employed to process goods for that electronic firm.
to collect – 1) _______________
The company collectsinformation about the new market trends.
Before you begin to make a speech, you should collect your thoughts and ideas.
The Customs collects import duties on certain categories of goods.
to break – 1) _______________
Be careful with the camera. You may break it.
If you break the rules you will be punished.
The cameras catch the drivers who break speed limit.
He never breaks his word (promise).
Task 11.Put the verbs in brackets into the correct form.
1. Most officers (to wear) uniform and (to deal) with passengers.
2. Last year he (to work) in shifts and often overtime.
3. As soon as the customs officer (to process) the documents he (to start) clearing the cargo. (use Present, Past, Future Tenses)
4. Customs officers always (to use) a wide range of tools and technology.
5. We (to have) canine team inspection if we (to suspect) contraband in the container. (use Present, Future Tenses)
6. This work (to require) attention and concentration. (use Present, Past, Future Tenses)
7. He (to work) for the Customs for five years.
8. They (to examine) her luggage before you (to come). (use Past, Future Tenses)
9. By the time the cargo (to cross) the border the customs authorities (to process) all the documents. (use Present, Past, Future Tenses)
Task 12. Translate the sentences into English.
1. Сотрудники таможни только что досмотрели багаж этого пассажира.
2. Они закончили оформлять документы на груз к 14.00.
3. Если документы будут заполнены правильно, сотрудник таможни подпишет их и поставит дату.
4. Обычно сотрудники этого таможенного поста работают посменно.
5. Пока кинолог с собакой проверяли автомобиль, таможенник задавал вопросы водителю.
6. Как долго вы работаете в отделе по расследованию?
7. Завтра в 10 часов утра мы будем обсуждать новый законодательный акт.
8. Таможенники получили информацию о контрабанде до того, как груз прибыл на границу.
Task 13. a) Match left and right to make sentences.
b) Say what you have learned about the new breed.
c) Discuss the following:
1. In what countries can these dogs be used for work at the Customs?
2. For what other purposes can these dogs be used?
Task 14. a) Insert articles or possessive pronouns, if necessary.
TIPS FOR TRAVELERS
Once _____ travel plans are confirmed, check _____ expiration date of _____ passport. It is also _____ good idea to make _____ photocopies of _____ data page. Leave one copy with someone at _____ home and keep another one with you, separated from _____ passport.
If you lose _____ passport, promptly call _____ nearest embassy or consulate and _____ local police. Having _____ copy of _____ data page can speed replacement.
When shopping, keep _____ receipts for all of _____ purchases. Upon reentering _____ country, be ready to show _____ customs officials what you have bought. If you object to _____ way your clearance was handled, get _____ inspector’s badge number. If you feel _____ duty is incorrect, appeal _____ assessment.
b) Name three most important tips for travelers.
Task 15.Read and translate the text.
When it comes to dealing with customs officers, anywhere in the world, the Golden Rule has got to be: You can’t beat a professional at his own game.
Case in point. Returning to New York from a trip to Europe, a well-dressed, middle-aged woman on line in front of me put two bags on the counter and said. “Nothing to declare, officer.”
The inspector checked her passport and asked. “Where are you coming from?”
“Paris,” she told him.
He nodded. “No alcohol? No tobacco? No dairy products or meat? Have you bought anything for yourself or are you bringing in any gifts?”
“No,” she insisted. “None of those things. Nothing to declare.”
“Okay.” He pointed to her smaller case. “Would you open that one for me, please.
Now she started ts-tsking. “Officer, I know you are never going to believe me, but this morning when I was packing to leave the hotel I closed my bags not realizing that I had locked the keys inside. How silly of me. I’m sure it’s going to be a big problem when I get home because I’ll have to find a locksmith …”
The customs official wasn’t in the least fazed. “Not to worry.” He reached into a drawer and pulled out a huge steel ring with no less than six million keys dangling from it. “I’m sure we can help.”
That’s when the woman remembered the Dior dress and the Armani shoes and the Gucci purse and the Bruno Magli boots and the Valentino sweater and the Piaget watch.
No, you can’t beat a professional at his own game.
b) Make up 10 questions of all types to the text;
c) Give the gist of the story.
Task 16.a) Study the information in the table.
b) Choose the right verb to complete the dialogue.
- Hello, Pete, delighted to see you.
- Hello, Paul. I haven’t seen you for ages. By the way, do you happen to
- I do. We studied at the Russian Customs Academy together and I __________
him very well there.
- I’ve just __________ he is back in Moscow again.
- Great! I think we should meet.
- Oh, it’s a good idea. I think it will be difficult _________ each other after
all these years. I’ll phone him and __________ what day would be most
convenient for us all.
- Please, let me __________ after you __________ everything.
- OK. See you later.
c) Use the words from the table to complete the sentences.
1. I just __________ that we are going to get new computers.
2. They (not) __________ me in the uniform.
3. You __________ how to use this tool?
4. Can you _________ why the flight has been cancelled?
5. I (not) __________ what channel I should choose.
6. We __________ about the changes in the timetable yesterday. There was a
notice on the information panel.
7. He __________ a few people in the arrival lounge. They also came to greet
8. The next day she __________ that she had passed the exam.
9. I’d like __________ how much I will have to pay for the excess.
Task 17.Find as many words from the topic as you can.
Task 18.Make a written translation of the text and think about the title for it.
The best tool for drug law enforcement is a trained, motivated and supported customs officer. The majority of the drugs seized resulted from the work of such officers. There are also, however, other tools and techniques available to supplement the officers’ work and knowledge. Among the most important of these is the principle of co-operation and exchange of information between different Customs services. This includes specific information co-operation on particular drug shipments and/or persons involved in the trade and more general material on concealments, routings, courier characteristics, etc.
This is where the World Customs Organization has a leading role to play since it provides a legal framework by which this activity can be carried out.
Task 19.Complete the definitions:
1. An architect designs buildings.
2. A university lecturer ______________________________.
3. A vet ______________________________.
4. A designer ______________________________.
5. A lawyer _____________________________.
6. An engineer ______________________________.
7. A customs officer ______________________________.
8. A dog handler ______________________________.
9. A police officer ______________________________.
10. A border guard ______________________________.
11. A president ______________________________.
12. A smuggler ______________________________.
Task 20.Say if it is true or false.
1. The assessment of import duties and taxes is the least important function in every customs organization.
2. Cargo shipments entering the country are to be supplied with supporting documents excluding commercial invoices.
3. Cargo shipments are inspected for duty collection only.
4. Specially trained drug-detector dogs are sometimes more effective than traditional methods of detecting contraband.
5. The most common customs violations are: duty, tax and penalty.
6. Laboratory analyses are performed in order to prevent currency violation.
Task 21.Get ready todiscuss the following questions with your partners.
1. Are all the Customs areas equally important?
2. Which customs area would you like to be involved in? Why?
3. Will the functions of the Customs be the same in 50 years time?
Task 22.Get ready to speak on the topic. Use the vocabulary of the unit.
©2015-2020 megaobuchalka.ru Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. (713)
Почему 1285321 студент выбрали МегаОбучалку...
Система поиска информации
Мобильная версия сайта
Нет шокирующей рекламы