Read and complete the text with the right words
When you (1) ___________ for a job, you are usually asked to (2) ___________ an application form as well as your resume and a cover letter. Companies like to have standardized forms containing information about candidates. This makes comparison simpler and also makes it easier for a company to (3) ___________ the candidates for interview. It is very important that you (4) ___________ all your abilities and skills in the spaces provided. Remember, this is the employer’s first impression of you, so it is very important that you (5) ___________ the form accurately. Read the form very carefully and answer each question honestly. Show employers that you are able to (6) ___________ instructions. Answer all questions as precisely as you can. Do not (7) ___________ any sections blank. If a question does not (8) ___________ to you, simply write “not applicable”. Proofread your application before you turn it in.
From English for Business
Find English equivalents of the following words and word combinations. Use them in the sentences of your own.
подать заявление о приеме на работу, заполнить анкету, стандартная форма, произвести выборку кандидатов, перечислите все способности и навыки, заполнить форму, следовать инструкциям, не оставлять пробелов, перепроверять.
Complete the notes with key information from the text.
why employers prefer to see job application forms:________________________________
how to fill out the form:__________________
3. Read and complete the sentences with up or in.
Match the phrasal verbs from the previous exercise with the correct meanings.
1. to fill in____________________ a. to spend or use up (especially surplus time)
2. to fill someone in ___________ b. to take someone’s place temporarily
3. to fill up (no object) ___________ c. to make or become completely full
4. to fill up (with object) _________ d. to supply someone with recent information
Listen to Martha and John talking about their strengths and weaknesses. Complete the following table with the information you hear.
In pairs, discuss what you see as your strengths and weaknesses and talk about how you could present any weaknesses in a more positive light.
Lesson 3. Preparing Your Resume
I. Comment upon the quotation:Writing without thinking is like shooting without aiming. (Arnold Glasgow)
How can it be applied to writing a resume?
II. Read the following statements about preparing a resume and write whether you agree or disagree with each one. Then discuss your opinions in pairs.
When preparing a resume you should…
1. always give your age and marital status _________
2. provide a current address and phone number _________
3. always use your friends as references _________
4. list all your employment experience _________
5. always include copies of personal references _________
6. use a reliable e-mail address _________
III. Read the steps for preparing a resume and number them in the best order. The first one has been done for you. Then compare your answers with your partner.
1. Listen to the Human Recourse manager speaking about what to include in a resume. Check ü the items that should be included and mark with a û those that should not.
q all your education
q consenting references
q e-mail experience
q marital status
q volunteer work
©2015-2020 megaobuchalka.ru Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. (850)
Почему 1285321 студент выбрали МегаОбучалку...
Система поиска информации
Мобильная версия сайта
Нет шокирующей рекламы