Translate paying attention to the phrases in black
1. Last week he flewto New York. It was an early
morning flight. The planewas to take offat 6 a.m. and land at 7a.m. local time. He was strandedat the airport overnight.
The plane was delayed by fog. Air passengers often
suffer such delays.
2. Trainsalways run on timehere. You have to
change trains at Crewe.
3. We are sailingon the QE2. It sets sails at noon. It
will dockin New York at 6 p.m. and we shall
disembarkas soon as we can.
4. The ship was wrecked. The passengers were
maroonedon a desert island.
5. Our car does 10 km to the litre. It goesquite fast.
We can usually overtakeother cars.
6. The car swervedinto the middle of the road to
7. Hebackedthe car into the driveand parkedin
front of the house.
59. Fill the gaps with the correct words:
1. Don't forget to __ your __ belt when you __ the car.
2. There was a bad accident this morning. One driver
died, the other driver was badly __ and both cars were
3. In the morning, the __ starts at about 7 o'clock and
goes on until at least 9.30. Then it starts again at
about 4.30 in the afternoon.
4. It was raining, so when I __ the car didn't stop
quickly enough, and I __ into the back of the car in
5. The bicycle hit me just as I stepped off the __ to
cross the road.
6. The car __, so I phoned a garage and they sent
someone to repair it.
7. There was a terrible __, and that's why it took me
two hours to get home in the car.
8. I was doing about 65 mph on the inside __ of the
motorway, and suddenly a car __ me doing about 90
60. Tick the correct word in these sentences:
1. You mustn't ride / drive a motorbike without a crash
2. She told him to get in / get on the car and fasten his
3. Bus fares / tickets are getting more and more
4. Trains to the airport travel / run every half hour.
5. The pilot couldn't drive / fly the plane in such bad
6. Have a look at the train schedule / timetable to find
out when the next one arrives.
7. We were late, so we had to take / catch a taxi.
8. I left my house a bit late and I lost / missed the bus.
Write down two different words that can combine
With each of the words below.
e. g. miss
1. ____ fare 4. ____ driver
2. get on ____ 5. get in ____
3. ____ station 6. ____ journey
62. Are these statements true or false?
1. Trains are more reliable than buses.
2. Train fares are more expensive than bus fares.
3. Train journeys are more interesting than bus
4. Railway stations are nicer places than bus stations.
5. You get to the place you are going faster by taxi
than by car.
Read the following. Note the collocations.
Vehicleis a general word for all types of road transport.
Sometimes buses are not verypunctual(= they don't arrive at the correct time ). Where I live buses should run
(= come) every ten minutes, but sometimes I wait at the bus stop for half an hour with a long queue ( Am Eng = line ) of people, and then three buses come together, and they are all full up (= full of people, and no more people can get on). On other occasions the bus is early and I miss it
(= I don't catch it)
A. You must give wayat a give-way sign.On a round-about, traffic coming from your right has the right of way (is allowed to go before other traffic).
Sounding / hooting / tootingyour hornis prohibited except in emergencies.
Jumping(not stopping at) a red lightis a serious offence. Reckless driving(very dangerous driving, without any care for others) is also a very serious offence.
Drink-drivingmay result in a heavy fine or imprisonment. You may be asked to take a breathalyser(instrument you breathe into to measure alcohol level) test.
Hit-and-run (running over or into someone and not stopping) accidents are extremely serious and could result in a ban(removal of one's driving license ) for several years and / or imprisonment . Less serious offences may result in penalty points(negative points on your license which are added up over time ).
On- the-spot fines(given at the scene of the offence) may be issued for careless driving and other offences.
Exhaust emissions(waste gases produced by the vehicle ) must meet government standards, and the car must be roadworthy (in a condition that it can be driven safely), which includes a minimum depth of tyre tread(the depth of the grooves in the tyre rubber).
B. Traffic Problems
1.And now for the WXYZ traffic report. Right now the situation isbad on all major highways. Traffic is movingslowly because of the holiday weekend. A commutethat usually takestwenty minutes is takingabout thirty minutes.Many people who normally use public transportation are drivinginstead. Thisis addingto the traffic congestion.If you don't need to take your car, the policerecommendpublic transportation. For more traffic updates, please stay tuned.
2.It was the rush hour and there was a long tailbackon the motorway (line of slow or stopped traffic). There was a pile-up(crash between several or many cars), involving ten cars, because of the fog, so the road was closed and we were diverted(directed away from our road) on to a narrow country lane. I had stupidly parked in a tow-away zoneand came back to find my car had gone! (area where your car may be taken away if you park illegally). I just parked for a few minutes outside the station, but when I came out my car had been clamped (fitted with a metal device on the wheel to prevent it from moving). I saw two men fighting next to their cars. I think it was a case of road rage(anger or violence between drivers because of difficult driving conditions). The road was wet and I skiddedon a bend and almost crashed (lost control of the steering). There was a head-on collision(two vehicles hitting each other directly in the front) on the main road between here and the next village last night. Luckily, both cars had air-bagsand the drivers survived.
©2015-2020 megaobuchalka.ru Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. (2708)
Почему 1285321 студент выбрали МегаОбучалку...
Система поиска информации
Мобильная версия сайта
Нет шокирующей рекламы