We______to the top of Holborn Hill before I______ that he was not smiling at all.
a) had got, knew c) were getting, knew
b) got, knew d) have got, have known
Turning from the Temple gate as soon as I______the warning, I______my way to Fleet Street, and then______ to Covent Garden.
a) was reading, made, drove b) have read, made, drove
c) had read, made, drove d) read, made, drove
Seventy-seven detective novels and books of stories by Agatha Christie______into every major language, and her sales______in tens of millions.
a) are translated, are calculated b) were translated, were calculated
c) have been translated, are calculated d) had been translated, were calculated
In recent years, scientific and technological developments ______human life on our planet, as well as our views both of ourselves as individuals in society and of the universe as a whole.
a) have drastically changed c) are drastically changing
b) drastically changed d) change drastically
Before we______from swimming in the river near the camp, someone______our clothes, and we had to walk back with our towels around us.
a) returned, stole c) were returning, stole
b) had returned, had stolen d) returned, had stolen
6. Our new neighbours______in Arizona for ten years before moving to their present house.
a) had been living c) have been living
b) lived d) were living
We went into the house by a side door and the first thing 1______was that the passages ______all dark, and that she______a candle burning there.
a) noticed, were, left b) had noticed, had been, had left
c) noticed, were, had left d) have noticed, were, had left
The sun______brightly all day on the roof of my attic, and the room was warm.
a) was shining c) has shone
b) shone d) had been shining
9. Although the period that we call "the Renaissance" ______in Italy in the fourteenth century, this idea of rebirth in learning characterized other epochs in history in different parts of the world.
a) begins c) began
b) had begun d) will begin
Egyptians left no written accounts as to the execution of mummification, so the scientists ______to examine mummies and establish their own theories.
a) had c) are having
b) have d) have had
Тест 2 Выберите правильный вариант.Видо-временная система английского глагола
In spite of the fact that it___all day long, the match ___and the stands were full of spectators.
a) had been raining, was not cancelled b) rained, was not cancelled
c) was raining, has not cancelled d) had rained, had not been cancelled
12. Many football fans claimed that after "Real FC"______ that important game it______no chance to win the championship.
a) lost, had c) had lost, had
b) lose, has d) will lose, will have
13. I wish he____last Friday but his flight____because of bad weather. If he___the next day I would have brought him by car.
a) arrived, was cancelled, called b) had arrived, was cancelled, had called
c) had arrived, had been cancelled, called d) arrived, have cancelled, had called
After many long years of devoted and patient instruction, the doctor______able to get the boy to clothe and feed himself, recognize and utter a number of words, as well as write letters and form words.
a) was c) had been
b) has been d) were
15. At the first stages of the Industrial Revolution advertising ______a relatively straightforward means of announcement and communication and was used mainly to promote novelties and fringe products which______unknown to the public.
a) had been, were c) was, were
b) had been, had been d) was being, were
16. Towards the end of the 19th century the larger companies ______more and more on mass advertising to promote their new range of products. The market during this period ______by a small number of giant, conglomerate enterprises.
a) relied, has been controlled b) relied, had been controlled
c) were relying, has been controlled d) relied, were controlled
To cater for the fitness boom of the 80s and provide the up-to-date facilities people want, over 1,500 private health and fitness clubs______during the past 15 years.
a) were built c) have been built
b) had been built d) will be built
18. In 1936 the British Broadcasting Corporation______to provide a public radio service. Since then the BBC ______by the establishment of independent and commercial radio and television, which______the BBC's broadcasting monopoly.
a) was established, was influenced, removed
b) was established, has been influenced, removed
c) was established, has been influenced, had removed
d) was established, had been influenced, removed
The Neolithic Age was a period of history which____in approximately 6000 B.C. and ____ until 3000 B.C.
a) began, lasted c) began, was lasting
b) had begun, lasted d) had begun, had been lasting
A major problem in the construction of new buildings is that windows______while air conditioning systems
a) have been eliminated, have not been perfected b) were eliminated, were not perfected
c) had been eliminated, had not been perfected d) eliminate, are not perfected
Тест 3 Выберите правильный вариант. Видо-временная система английского глагола
| 1. - How long______you______?— Since I was 17.
a) have been driving c) did drive
b) have driven d) do drive
2. She______always______in Moscow.
a) —, lives c) has been living
b) has lived d) has live
3. How long______ you______ Kate?
a) did know c) have known
b) have been knowing d) do known
4.I______here all my life.
a) have lived c) am living
b) have living d) live
5. Kate has lost her passport again, it is the second time this _____
a) happens c) happened
b) has happened d) is happening
6. Kate has been working here______.
a) since two years c) for two years
b) two years ago d) two years
7. The boy sitting next to me on the plane was nervous because he______before.
a) has not flown c) had not flown
b) did not fly d) has not been flying
8.I______a lot but I don't any more.
a) was used to eat c) was eating
b) used to eat d) used to eating
9.______next week, so we can go somewhere.
a) I'm not working c) I don't work
b) I won't work d) I shall not work
10. We are late. The film______by the time we get to the cinema.
a) will be already started
b) will already start
c) will already have started
d) already will start
|| 11. Don't worry______late tonight.
a) if I'll be c) when I'll be
b) if I am d) if I be
12. At first I thought I______the right thing, but I soon realized that I______a serious mistake.
a) did, made c) have done, have made
b) had done, had made d) did, had made
13.1 hope Kate is coming soon. I______for two hours.
a) am waiting c) had been waiting
b) have been waiting d) waited
14. At last Kate came. I______for two hours.
a) am waiting c) had been waiting
b) have been waiting d) was waiting
15. She is going on holiday. This time next week she_____ on a beach or____in the sea.
a) is going to lay, swim
b) will be lying, swimming
c) will lie, swim
d) is lying, swimming
16. —______you______the post office when you're out? - Probably. Why? - I need to mail the letter. Could you do it for me?
a) are passing c) will be passing
b) are going to pass d) will pass
17. We______for a walk when it____raining.
a) will go, will stop c) are going, will stop
b) will go, stops d) go, stops
18. When you______in Moscow again, you must come and see us.
a) will go c) are
b) will be d) are going
19. I'm going to read a lot of books while I______on holiday.
a) am c) would be
b) will be d) am going to be
20. -______you______your car this evening? — No. Do you want to borrow it?
a) will be using c) are used
b) will use d) do use
Тест 4 Выберите правильный вариант. Видо-временная система английского глагола
| 1. Water______at 100 degrees.
a) boils с) will boil
b) is boiling d) will have been boiling
2. The weather ______ hotter and hotter.
a) gets c) is getting
b) has been getting d) get
3. The first modern Olympics______in Athens more than a hundred years ago.
a) were taking place c) have taken
b) took d) had taken
4. We______20 new buildings this year.
a) built c) had built
b) were building d) have built
5.I______always______if the service is bad in restaurants.
a) -, complain c) will be complaining
b) am complaining d) will complain
6. I______to the news on television at nine o'clock last night.
a) was listening c) have been listening
b) listened d) had been listening
7. After they______they cleared the table.
a) ate c) have eaten
b) had eaten d) were eating
8.I______for a whole hour!
a) am waiting c) have been waiting
b) was waiting d) had been waiting
9 I______John's mobile phone because I left mine at home.
a) use c) used
b) was using d) have been using
10. This juice______good.
a) is tasting c) has been tasting
b) tastes d) is being tasted
|| 11. Long ago they______most houses out of wood.
a) built c) were building
b) have built d) had built
12. We still______life on other planets.
a) didn't discover
b) hadn't discovered
c) won't discover
d) haven't discovered
13.1______when my friend______.
a) slept, called
b) was sleeping, was calling
c) was sleeping, called
d) slept, was calling
14. Those potatoes______for an hour.
a) have been boiling c) are boiling
b) were boiling d) had been boiling
a) —, borrow c) will borrow
b) has been borrowing d) are borrowing
16. They______for four hours before they______the top of the mountain.
a) climbed, reached b) had been climbing, reached
c) was climbing, reached d) climbed, has been reaching
17.I think it______a difficult game.
a) is going to be c) have been
b) will be d) had been
18.I______ to you ever again.
a) don't speak
b) am not going to speak
c) hasn't spoken
d) will have been spoken
19.I______him tomorrow, he is expecting my call.
a) phone c) am going to phone
b) am phoning d) will have phoned
20. The boat______the island on Friday.
a) is leaving c) is going to leave
Тест 5 Выберите правильный вариант. Видо-временная система английского глагола
| 1. His grandfather____from his job a year ago.
a) has retired c) retires
b) was retiring d) retired
2. The backpacker knew there was a lake because they ______ it earlier in the day.
a) have seen c) had seen
b) saw d) hadn't seen
3.______he______about the opera before?
a) had spoken c) has spoken
b) was speaking d) did speak
4. What time______it______?
a) did happen c) had happened
b) has happened d) was happening
5. Tomorrow at five he______football.
a) '11 play c) plays
b) '11 be playing d) play
6. This time last year he______in London.
a) lived c) '11 live
b) was living d) has lived
7 I______for you for more than one hour.
a) has waited c) was waiting
b) have been waiting d) was waited
8. He______it for an hour before I came.
a) have been doing c) had been doing
b) had been done d) did
9- _____he already_____the doctor by that time?
a) has seen c) was seeing
b) did see d) had seen
10. She______her work already.
a) hasn't finished c) finished
b) has finished d) is finished
|| 11. When I______it______yesterday.
a) wake up, was raining b) woke up, rained
c) woke up, was raining
d) 've woken up, was raining
12. Will you______the bank when you go out?
a) be passing c) have passed
b) pass d) to pass
13. Last night I______home at 11. I ______ supper and then______to bed.
a) have come, had. went b) came, had, went
c) came, have had, went d) came, had, have gone
14. ______ you ______ many cities when you were in France.
a) did visit c) are visiting
b) have visited d) do visit
15. They______for 20 minutes when his mother came in.
a) talked c) have talked
b) were talking d) had been talking
16. The room looks very clean. ______ you ______ it?
a) Did, clean c) Have, cleaned
c) Do, clean d) Are, cleaning
17. Next year is my parents' tenth wedding anniversary. They ______married for 10 years.
a) have c) '11 have
b) are d) '11 have been
18. Next week he______to Paris on business.
a) is going c) goes
b) is going to go d) go
19. They______this article by 5 p.m. yesterday.
a) have translated c) had translated
b) translated d) had been translated
20. While he______tennis, he______his arm.
a) played, was hurting b) was playing, hurt
c) was playing, hurted d) played, hurt
*21. This time next week he______in the Black Sea.
a) swim b) '11 be swimming c) '11 swim d) swims
*22. Last night I______in bed when suddenly the phone rang.
a) read b) were reading c) have read d) was reading
*23. He______for Moscow by yesterday night.
a) had left b) left c) has left d) was leaving
*24. He______very fast when the accident______.
a) drove, happened b) was driving, has happened c) is driving, happened d) was driving, happened
*25. We______from her since June.
a) have heard b) haven't heard c) had heard d) weren't hearing
Тест 6 Выберите правильный вариант. Видо-временная система английского глагола
| 1. She______her exam by two o'clock.
a) passed c) has passed
b) have passed d) had passed
2. A plate slipped out of my hands when I ______ the washing up.
a) was doing c) had done
b) did d) was done
3. It's nine o'clock. The pupils______a lesson.
a) will be having c) have
b) are having d) have had
4. He______ill twice so far this year.
a) is c) was
b) has been d) is being
5. By summer you______English for two years.
a) '11 study c) '11 have been studying
b) have studied d) are studying
6. What______you_____at this time yesterday?
a) was doing c) did do
b) have done d) were doing
7. We're late. The film______finished by the time we______ to the centre.
a) is finished, get b) will be finished, '11 get
c) will have finished, get d) finished, '11 get
8. The documents______by the time I come.
a) '11 have been typed c) '11 be typed
b) '11 have typed d) will be typing
9. Last year 1______ill only twice.
a) was c) am
b) have been d) has been
10. By the 8th of April my mother_______at school for twenty years.
a) '11 work c) has worked
b) '11 be working d) '11 have been working
|| 11.I______these sentences for one hour.
a) am writing c) have written
b) 've been writing d) was writing
12. We______it for half an hour when the teacher entered.
a) have discussed c) discussed
b) were discussing d) had been discussing
13. It______for three hours.
a) was snowing c) is snowing
b) snowed d) has been snowing
14. My sister learns French and she__very well.
a) does c) is doing
b) do d) did
15. My nephew is at college now, and my son ______ to college next year.
a) is going c) '11 go
b) is going to go d) goes
16. His friend______two English articles into Russian.
a) translated c) has translated
b) have translated d) translates
17. They______us several telegrams lately.
a) send c) sent
b) 've sent d) are sending
18. Don't worry! The child______better.
a) get c) have got
b) gets d) is getting
19. He______under treatment for two months but there are no signs of improvement.
a) 's been c) was
b) is d) is being
20. Doctor Ivanov____people for heart trouble.
a) is treating c) treats
b) has treated d) treat