Variant (Intermediate). 1. We were held up in a traffic jam so the concert … by the time we …
1. We were held up in a traffic jam so the concert … by the time we … .
1. began; had arrived
2. began, arrived
3. began, were arriving
4. had begun; arrived
2. The hotel wasn’t very expensive. It … very much.
1. hadn’t cost
2. didn’t cost
3. wasn’t costing
4. hadn’t been costing
3. When I last … him, he … to find a job.
1. was seeing; was trying
2. had seen; tried
3. saw, was trying
4. saw; had been trying
4. I … the shop as soon as I … the contents of the box.
1. had rung; checked
2. rang; had checked
3. was ringing; checked
4. had been ringing; checked
5. I knew Sarah was very busy, so I … her.
1. hadn’t disturbed
2. wasn’t disturbing
3. didn’t disturb
4. hadn’t been disturbing
6. My new boss … giving orders, not receiving them.
1. is used to
2. used to
3. get used to
4. is using to
7. When I … young, I … to be a bus driver.
1. had been; wanted
2. was; had been wanting
3. was being; was wanting
4. was; wanted
8. When the doctor eventually … my name, I … for forty minutes.
1. had called; was waiting
2. called; waited
3. called; had been waiting
4. was calling; waited
9. I … along the street when suddenly I … footsteps behind me.
1. had been walking; heard
3. walked; had been hearing
2. was walking; heard
4. walked; was hearing
10. Doctor Fisher … widely as a young man and always … a diary.
1. travelled; had kept
2. was travelling; kept
3. travelled; kept
4. travelled; was keeping
11.Albert Einstein … the scientist who … the theory of relativity.
1. was; had developed
2. had been; developed
3. was; developed
4. was being; was developing
12. … any carpentry before you … that cupboard?
1. Had you ever done; built
2. Did you ever do; had built
3. Did you ever do; were building
4. Were you ever doing; built
13. We … a good rest when our guests … .
1. had; had left
2. were having; left
3. had had; left
4. had had; were leaving
14. I … Lisa when I went round last night because she … to stay with her grandmother.
1. hadn’t seen; went
2. wasn’t seeing; went
3. didn’t see; went
4. didn’t see; had gone
15. By the time she … I … for two hours.
1. had arrived; was waiting
2. arrived; had been waiting
3. arrived; was waiting
4. had arrived; had been waiting
16. I was sad when I sold my car. I … it for a very long time.
1. had had
3. had been having
4. was having
17. There … a hotel opposite the station but it was closed a long time ago.
1. was being
2. had been
3. used to be
4. was used to being
18. After he … the clothes, he … them outside to dry.
1. washed; had hung
2. was washing; hung
3. had washed; hung
4. washed; hung
19. Bill and Sue … their house before they moved.
1. constantly improved
2. were constantly improving
3. used to improve constantly
4. had constantly improved
20. I … six kilometers when the car … .
1. drove; had broken down
2. was driving; broke down
3. drove; broke down
4. had driven; broke down
Exercise 1. Use the verbs in the story in the Future Indefinite Tense where possible:
It is Saturday. I don't have classes, so I stay in bed later than usual. I get up at 10 and understand that it is too late to do morning exercises. At this time my Mum and Dad are not at home. I look out of the Window and see them in the garden, they take away the old leaves and prepare the garden for the winter. So I go to the kitchen and make my breakfast myself. I eat my breakfast and look throughout the ads in the newspaper. It takes me about an hour. As usual I forget to wash up after breakfast. I go back to my room and listen to my favourite music. Then I hear the telephone ring and run to the drawing room. My group-mate calls. He invites me to his place, but I don't want to go out. I am too lazy. At about 1 o' clock the Old Man and the Old Lady come in. They are both exhausted and angry, because my dirty dishes are still on the table. I try to make up for it and offer to cook lunch, but my mother doesn't allow me. She says I spoil everything. I feel ashamed and promise to myself than I'll start a new life tomorrow... Tomorrow is Sunday...
Exercise 2. Answer the following questions:
1. Will you take your exams in June? 2. Will you come to our party? 3. Will you join us for lunch? 4. Will you help them with their English? 5. Will they be happy to see us? 6. When will he know the time of our arrival? 7. What will you tell them? 8. Where will she wait for you? 9. Shall we start the discussion? 10. Shall I help you? 11. Shell we open the window? 12. Shall I translate the text? 13. What shall we do tomorrow morning? 14. What shall we have for dinner? 15. Where shall we go this evening? 16. What shall I do? 17. What time shall I wake you up? 18. Where shall we meet?
Exercise 3. Use Present or Future Indefinite:
1. I (to hope) he (to be) at the office tomorrow. 2. When you (to give) me back my textbook? 3. I (to be) sure you (to like) the music. 4. At this time tomorrow we (to be) far from here. 5. Don't wait for me, I probably (to be) late. 6. I (to be) afraid they (to miss) you very much. 7. Where we (to meet)? 8. You (to find) a lot of interesting things in this journal. 9. How long it (to take) us to get to the airport? 10. There (to be) a lot of traffic and cars (to move) very slowly, I (to take) a taxi.
Exercise 4. Make up disjunctive questions:
1. I shall recognize you. 2. You will arrive in Moscow at 6 p.m. 3. They will book tickets for us in advance. 4. They won't serve lunch on the plane. 5. You'll know better next time. 6 There will be some of his pictures at the exhibition. 7. We shan't see you before Monday. 8. He won't pass his examination. 9. The plane will land on time. 10. There won't be any people whom I don't know.
Exercise 5. Translate into English:
1. Вчера вечером я звонила своим друзьям в Лондоне. 2. Он закончил университет три года тому назад. 3. Вчера она заходила к нам на минутку. 4. В понедельник она не приходила в институт. 5. Где ты купил этот словарь? 6. На прошлой неделе я получил от нее три письма. 7. Куда вы ездили в отпуск летом? 8. мы ведь договаривались с вами о встрече в 10 часов? 9. Кто оставил эту записку? 10. Его рассказ не на всех произвел впечатление. 11. Сью и Дик впервые встретились во время летного семеcтра. 12. Она не объяснила, почему изменила решение переехать в другой штат. 13. Доктор Джоунз получил Нобелевскую премию за заслуги в медицине. 14. Кто обучал вас английскому языку? 15. Когда вы были за рубежом в последний раз? 16. Мы надеялись достать билеты на семичасовой сеанс. 17. Она выглядела моложе своих лет и одевалась со вкусом. 18. Вчера произошло ограбление банка. Преступников было трое. Им удалось скрыться. 19. Землетрясение в Японии в 1995 году принесло массу разрушений. 20. Джон Кеннеди стал президентом США, когда ему было сорок три года.
Exercise 6. Ask each other questions about your plans for the future and give answers. Use "to be going+Infinitive" and the following words and phrases:
Tonight, at the weekend, in summer, during the holiday, tomorrow, next month, after the exams, when you finish school, next year, when you get married, after the party, in class tomorrow, in Siberia, next.
Exercise 7. Use " will+Infinitive" or " to be going to"
1. Can you help me? The letter is in French. - Certainly. I (to translate) it for you. 2. I like this story very much. I (to translate) it into Russian. 3. This iron doesn't work. I (to get) another one for you. 4. Our fridge is empty. I (to get) some food from our story tomorrow. 5. I (to join) your clap with great pleasure. 6. You (to come) to my birthday party? 7. You to take part) in the competition? 8. It (to rain) soon. 9. I'm sure she (to forget) about your remarks. 10. We (to spend) the weekend in Moscow.
Exercise 8. Translate into English using "to be going+Infinitive":
1. Мы опаздываем. 2. Нам еще долго ждать? 3. Вот - вот пойдет дождью. 4. Конкурс будет трудным. 5. Я испеку свой любимый пирог. 6. Вечеринка будет очень интересной. 7. Он потратит все свои сбережения. 8. Я буду в своем новом платье. 9. Она не выйдет за него замуж. 10. Они у нас недолго пробудут. 11. Скоро они переедут на дачу. 12. Моя мама скоро станет бабушкой.
Джейн приглашает Джека в гости, но он отказывается. Он очень занят. Он договорился о том, что… Используйте Present Continuous.
1.Оn Monday/ too meet Grandma at the station
©2015-2020 megaobuchalka.ru Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. (2642)
Почему 1285321 студент выбрали МегаОбучалку...
Система поиска информации
Мобильная версия сайта
Нет шокирующей рекламы