Случаи отклонения от правил последовательности времен
1. When we say how long something has been happening the sentence can have double meaning. It depends on the context or situation.
I knewthat she had been ill for two months.
1. Я знал, что она болеет уже два месяца.
2. Я знал, что она болела два месяца.
But: I knewthat she had been ill.- Я знал, что она болела.
Не saidthat it had been raining.- Он сказал, что шел дождь.
2. Past Indefinite can stay the same if we use:
2 years ago He saidthat he leftMoscow 5 years ago.
yesterday He knewthat Peter wasat home yesterday.
last week She saidshe was workingwhen I rangher up.
when he came
But: He saidthat he had leftMoscow the day before.
Two years before,
The previous night.
3 .The Past Indefinite after "since" generally remains unchanged.
She said,"I have been writingsince I came".
- She saidshe had been writingsince she came.
Ex. 1 Put the verbs in brackets into the required tense, pay attention to the Sequence of Tenses.
1. He said he (is staying, was staying) at the "Ritz" Hotel. 2. They realized that they (lost, had lost) their way in the dark. 3. He asked me where I (study, studied). 4. I thought that I (shall finish, should finish) my work at that time. 5 He says he (works, worked) at school two years ago. 6. Victor said he (is, was) very busy. 8. My friend asked me who (is playing, was playing) the piano in the sitting-room. 9. He said he (will come, would come) to the station to see me off. 10. I was sure he (posted, had posted) the letter. 11. I think the weather (will be, would be) fine next week. I hope it (will not change, would not change) for the worse. 12. I knew that he (is, was) a very clever man. 13. I want to know what he (has bought, had bought) for her birthday. 14. I asked my sister to tell me what she (has seen, had seen) at the museum.
©2015 megaobuchalka.ru Все права защищены авторами материалов.
Почему 3458 студентов выбрали МегаОбучалку...
Система поиска информации
Мобильная версия сайта
Нет шокирующей рекламы