Ex. 5 Translate the story. Turn direct speech into indirect speech with tense changes
"Я просмотрела результаты ваших анализов", - сказала доктор Лестер.
"Вы очень поправились", - сказала она мне.
"Вы набрали (gain) пять с половиной килограммов за шесть месяцев", - добавила она.
"Если вы будете продолжать в том же духе, вы станете очень толстым (get fat)," – сказала она мне.
"Я вынуждена посадить вас на строгую диету (put on a strict diet); вы должны есть очень мало," - добавила она.
"Хорошо, я буду жить на воде и орехах", - сказал я, разозлившись.
"Да, вы можете жить на воде и орехах, но без орехов," - согласилась доктор Лестер.
MODAL VERBS. МОДАЛЬНЫЕ ГЛАГОЛЫ
Ex. 1. Use "can," "may," "must" or "to be able".
1. The man ... be a foreigner. He ... not understand Russian. 2. How ... we get to the centre of London? 3. It's 10 o'clock, you ... go to bed at once. 4. If you go through the forest you ... lose your way. 5. ... I use your camera? 6. Flue ... be very dangerous. 7. Mrs. Smith ... be at least 60. 8. Something ... be done to stop the criminal. 9. ... you understand what he’s speaking about? 10. You ... come a little later tomorrow. 11. She ... not be 35, she has grandchildren. 12. If we take a taxi, we … catch the last train. 13. … you find him? – Yes, I was. He was outside.
Ex. 2. Use "mustn't" or "needn't":
1. You ... clean the room today, you can do it tomorrow morning. 2. I ... forget to post the letter mother gave me. 3. We have a lot of food at home so we ... go shopping today. 4. The baby is asleep, you ... shout. 5. You ... shout, I'm not deaf. 6. You ... worry about your luggage, I'll take care of it. 7. Must I come on Saturday? — No, you ... . 8. This book is very valuable, you ... lose it. 9. You ... eat the salad if you don't like it. 10. We have plenty of time so we ... hurry. 11. You ... tell anybody what I said. 12. You ... cross the street when the red light is on. 13. Must I type these letters today? — No, you ... . 14. You ... remind her about the meeting. I warned her yesterday.
Ex. 3. Use "must," "to have" or "to be".
1. The train ... arrive in five minutes, we ... hurry up. 2. If he doesn't meet you at the station you ... take a taxi. 3. They ... be here an hour ago. 4. I ... go to the library after classes because I ... make a report tomorrow. 5. It ... be a very interesting novel, I know the author. 6. I don't think you ... wait long. 7. They ... marry early in June, so they ... stay in Moscow. 8. She ... clean her shoes after working in the garden. 9. The lecture ... begin in a minute. 10. You ... be tired, you ... have a little rest. 11. I ... answer a lot of questions at the examination. 12. We ... leave on Monday
Ex. 4. Use "must," "have to," "ought to" or "should".
1. If you want to be fit, you ... not eat cakes, but you certainly ... walk a lot. 2. I'm late. I ... hurry. 3. There is light in the house, somebody ... be in. 4. The bus we took didn't go up the hill and we ... walk. 5. Every child ... know traffic rules. 6. It's dark outside, it ... be about 8 now. 7. You ... not eat so many sweets because they contain a lot of calories. 8. You ... not speak to your mother like this. 9. Why ... I do somebody else's work? 10. I think you ... give up smoking.
Ex. 5. Fill in the space with the most suitable modal verb: can(not), could (not), be able (to), may, might, must (not), to have (to), should (not), ought (to), need (not), to be (to).
1. The school's regime was harsh at that time. Pupils ... to get up at 4.30 every morning for prayers and Ex.s.
2. I ... help you. You need to speak to the manager.
3. You ... tell anyone about our meeting. Let's keep it secret. - You ... worry. Nobody will know anything.
4. I'm not sure at all, but Tom ... know about it.
5. You ... work harder if you want to learn English.
6. Oh no! I ... find my passport anywhere. - I think it ... be in your briefcase or you ... have left it at work.
7. The American President is elected for four years of service and ... be reelected for four additional years.
8. I believe him, he ... deceive me. You ... to believe him too.
9. You ... do it at once, otherwise you'll let me down.
10. ... I go out? I ... to meet them at the entrance.
11. You ... be late. You ... to come at 5 o'clock. They will be waiting for you there.
12. The doctor said that you ... give up smoking.
13. You ... not come. There is nothing to do.
14. The stadium was full of fans, but we ... to get tickets for this match.
15. She ... speak three languages, but she ... write any of them when she was younger.
©2015-2020 megaobuchalka.ru Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. (2580)
Почему 1285321 студент выбрали МегаОбучалку...
Система поиска информации
Мобильная версия сайта
Нет шокирующей рекламы