Ex. 98. Complete the sentences
You went back to your home town after many years and found that many things were different.
1. My friend Henry was no longer there. He _________(go) away. __He has gone away.__
2. The local cinema was no longer open. It ________________(close) down.
3. Mr Johnson was no longer alive. He ______________(die).
4. I didn’t recognize Mrs Johnson. She ________________(change) a lot.
5. Bill no longer had his car. He _________________(sell) it.
6. Jane was no longer alone. She ________________ (marry) Steve.
7. The old local shop was no longer there. They ________________(build) a new one.
8. Mrs White was no longer blond. She _________________ (become)grey.
Ex. 99. Put the verbs in brackets into past perfect.
1. By 7 o’clock I ______________(pack) my suitcase and was ready to start.
2. Tom wasn’t at home when I arrived. He just ________________(go) out.
3. By the time I got home everybody already __________________(go) to bed.
4. Mary looked happy. She ________________(find) her ring.
5. I knew the actor well. I ___________________(see) him in many plays.
6. Jane was busy in the kitchen. She __________________(not cook) the dinner yet.
7. She told me she _________________(work) in France and Germany.
8. He ________________________(finished) his new novel by the end of the month.
9. Nick thought that his father ____________________(not come) home yet.
10. Tom ______________________(return) from the cinema by 5 o’clock.
11. Yesterday I found the book which I ___________________(lose) in summer.
12. All my friends were glad to hear that I _____________________(pass) all my exams.
Ex. 100. Put the verbs in brackets into past perfect or past simple.
1. They ______________(eat) everything by the time I ______________(arrive) at the party.
2. Last night I _____________(arrive) home at half past twelve. I ___________(have) a bath
and then I ______________(go) to bed.
3. Nobody ___________(come) to the meeting because Ann _______________(forget) to tell
people about it.
4. When the police _________________(arrive), the car _________________(go).
4. The house was very quiet when I got home. Everybody __________________(go) to bed.
6. All the garages ________________(close) by the time we ______________(cross) the border.
7. I _____________(try) telephoning her several times but she _______________(leave) the city.
8. When we were on holiday, the weather ___________________(be) awful.
6. The car _______________(go) when I ___________________(look) into the street.
7. You already _____________________(leave) when the trouble ___________________(start).
8. When I _______________(find) the purse, someone _______________(take) money out of it.
9. We arrived at the cinema late. The film already ___________________(begin).
10. Richard already __________________(go) when his boss ________________(call).
11. He _________________(think) that he ___________________(lose) the money.
12. Last night we ___________(go) to a football match. We _________________(take) a bus.
13. He _______________(speak) a language we never ____________________(hear) before.
14. After spending several days in Paris he ____________(feel) lonely and _________________
(not want) to return home.
Ex. 101. Use the sentences on the left to complete the paragraphs on the right. These
Sentences are in the order in which they happened – so (1) happened before (2),
(2) before (3) etc. But your paragraph begins with theunderlined sentence, so
Sometimes you need the past perfect.
THE FUTURE PERFECT TENSE
Future Perfect образуется при помощи вспомогательного глагола to have в форме будущего времени (will have) и формы причастия прошедшего времени смыслового глагола: I will have worked, he will have worked, we will have worked.
Отрицательная форма – I / he / she /you / we / they will not (won’t) have workedВопросительная форма - Will (I / he / she / you / we / they) have worked?
1. Для выражения действия, которое завершится к определенному моменту в будущем.
Этот момент может быть определен:
a) обозначениями времени с предлогом by.
We will have translated this article Мы переведем эту статью к пяти часам.
by 5 o’clock.
They will have reached the village Они будут в деревне к вечеру.
by the evening.
б) другим будущим действием, выраженным в Present Simple.
The train will have left by the time Поезд уже отправится к тому времени,
we get to the station. как мы приедем на вокзал.
Ex. 102. Put the verbs in brackets into future perfect.
1. I ________________________(finish) this book by tomorrow evening.
2. By the end of next year I _____________________(be) here for twenty-five years.
3. At the rate he is going he ____________________(spend) all his money by the time he is twenty-five.
4. The train ______________________(leave) before we reach the station.
5. If I continue with my diet I __________________________(lose) 10 kilos by the end of the month.
6. By this time next year I ___________________________(save) 1000 dollars.
7. By the end of my university course I ___________________________(attend) 1,200 lectures.
8. When you come back I __________________________(finish) all the housework.
9. We ____________________________(drink) all the wine by the end of the year.
10. When we reach Brest we _________________________(do) half of the journey.
11. If we don’t hurry the sun ____________________________(rise) before we reach the top.
12. By next April I __________________________(pay) 3,000 dollars in income tax.
13. On 21 October they ____________________________(be) married for twenty-five years.
14. By next winter they ____________________________(build) four houses in that street.
15. At this rate you __________________________(break) all the wine glasses by the end of the month.
16. I’m going to Hyde Park to hear people making speeches. – You’ll be too late. By the time you
get there they _(finish) their speeches and everybody
©2015-2020 megaobuchalka.ru Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. (1409)
Почему 1285321 студент выбрали МегаОбучалку...
Система поиска информации
Мобильная версия сайта
Нет шокирующей рекламы