Both/both of, neither/neither of, either/either of
We use both/neither/either for two things. You can use these words with a noun (both books, neither book, etc.).
For example, you are talking about going out to eat this evening. There are two restaurants where you can go.
You say: Both restaurants are very good, (not the both restaurants.) Neither restaurant is expensive. We can go to either restaurant. I don't mind, (either = one or the others, it doesn't matter which one.)
Ø Both, either, neither are used when we are talking about two things. After either, neither a singular or a plural verb is possible.
Neither of the children wants (or want) to go to bed.
Both the girls speak French. Neither of them speaks English.
Ø None is used when talking about more than two things, persons or events. After none the verb can be used both in the singular and in the plural forms. A plural verb is more usual.
None of my friends are keen on football.
Both of... / neither of... / either of ....
When you use both/neither/either/+ of, you always need the/these/those/my/your/his/Tom's .., etc. You cannot say "both of restaurants". You have to say "both of the restaurants", "both of those restaurants" etc.
Both of these restaurants are very good.
Neither of the restaurants we went to was (or were) expensive.
I haven't been in either of those restaurants.
It is possible to say:
Both my parents are from London or both of my parents.
You can use both of / neither of / either of +us/you/them (talking to two people).
Can either of you speak English?
I asked two people the way to the station but neither of them knew.
Ex. 2. Complete the following sentences with the suitable pronouns
1. It was a very good football match. ... of the teams played very well.
2. Which of the two films do you prefer? The first one or the second one? — Actually I didn't like ... of them.
3. We didn't like the hotel. It was ... clean... comfortable.
4. He lost... his book and his glasses.
5. ... of the two pictures is satisfactory.
6. You can have ... of these books, but not both.
7. ... of the people I met were English.
8. I am afraid that ... of the local newspapers make much of a profit
9. We couldn't go to a restaurant because ... of us had any money.
10. Is it your car or your sister's? — ... . It's my father's.
11. He took the open book in ... his hands and came to her side.
12. ... of his opponents spoke at the meeting.
13. I think we are ... a little bit overtired.
14. We took a few photographs but ... of them were very good.
15. ... of my family are rich.
16. Have your parents got a car? — No, ... of them can drive.
THE VERB. ГЛАГОЛ
Спряжение глагола to be
Ex. 1. Fill in the gaps using the verb to be in Present, Past or Future Simple.
1. Her family name is now Jones, but it … Smith before she got married.
2. The name of the country … previously Rhodesia, but it … now Zimbabwe.
3. I … hungry. – You can’t be. We only had breakfast an hour ago.
4. It … very cold and windy today, so wear a coat.
5. She … a very nice woman, but her late husband … a very unpleasant man.
6. This … a beautiful blue dress. But it.
7. Today … 23rd of March: yesterday … the 22nd.
8. I’m sure the twins … 18 today: they … 17 last year.
9. I … a doctor when I grow up.
10. Here, this book … yours and that one … Jim’s. They … both on the floor.
11. The other students … here already. They … all downstairs in the canteen.
12. The party … next Saturday evening at Petra’s house.
13. My sister… at home tomorrow.
14. … Mr. James in? – No, I’m sorry, he … here not long ago, but now he… out.
15. … Fred and Carmen at home when you called? – No, they … ,but they … home now.
16. It … quite foggy tonight, but it … far worse last night.
17. Tomorrow he … in London.
18. It … only 2 miles to the shops now. It … 20 miles to any shops from our old house.
19. Her dream … to dance with the Royal Ballet Company.
©2015-2020 megaobuchalka.ru Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. (2237)
Почему 1285321 студент выбрали МегаОбучалку...
Система поиска информации
Мобильная версия сайта
Нет шокирующей рекламы